Friday, February 12, 2010

What's traditional anyway?



I posted a comment yesterday on ApartmentTherapy.com in response to the decor in a home in Morocco, which was decorated in reds and grays. As I was posting the comment, I realize that it is a theme in my life, to find myself caught between absolutely loving the modernity, and not thinking it is authentic enough:

(http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/inspiration/a-gray-and-red-moroccan-riad-cote-maison-108550#comments)

Yes, I agree. I think its gorgeous too. It has a very modern feel for being Moroccan. Almost European. I love it when this sort of fusion happens, and when it works well. I feel its the way interior design, and our whole world, is headed really.

My parents are from Morocco, but I was born in the US and raised in the, strongly Moorish-influenced, south of Spain. There is a part of me, I find, that likes it when things stay true to their form. I suppose it makes me believe that I am getting a truly original version of whatever it is. I have had the tendency to apply this feeling to many things/experiences,.... music, food, decor, clothing, even remakes of movies I watched as a kid.

Over the last few years, and especially as relates to my business, I am really starting to see things so differently. First of all, the world is in constant flux; we are becoming so global, so worldly, so quick, so smart, so mixed and matched. It only makes sense that these sort of fusions happen, and, importantly, they are happening because people want them to happen. And that to me is open and beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment